#rothreread is an effort hosted by Allodoxophobia and Gone Pecan as we reread Divergent and Insurgent to prepare for the final installment of the Divergent trilogy.
So I have now finished both books (yay ahead of schedule!) so I’m very excited for the next book! This week’s prompt is what would be in your fear landscape? For the uninitiated to the trilogy (and within the trilogy) those 16 year olds who want to join Dauntless have to go through a version of simulation where they are confronted with their fears. It is meant to make them able to still operate despite their fears. So what are my fears?
- I feel like I’d be remiss if I did not mention the death of those I love. Unfortunately, it’s sort of fact of life, but it is still not something I’d like to think about and I’d rather if it didn’t come prematurely.
- Rats. I have a phobia of rats. Mice are still not pleasant for me, but it’s really rats that I have a problem with. It’s completely irrational, I know. But I can’t help it. My heart will begin to race just to look at the rats in a pet store.
- Frogs. But really, anything that has the potential to jump on my feet. Even going to the ocean is somewhat terrifying because there’s the potential that something could mess with my feet. It must have something to do with vulnerability.
- Some of my scariest nightmares involve a breaking and entering of some kind with the intention to cause harm to me or those inside the house. There’s this violence to it and real intent to harm that is just terrifying.
- Maybe being chased by wolves? I get a few nightmares about that, despite how again, completely irrational and unlikely that would be.
I could see a few of the ones that I’d be surprised by in the fear landscape involving different versions of loss of control or vulnerability.
What would be in your fear landscape?